Beloved (Day 3)

Comment here for Beloved, Part II.  The challenges to reading probably grow to their greatest intensity during this part.  I’ll probably just open this up to whatever comments and/or questions people want to raise in making sense of this section, especially during the interior monologue/stream-of-consciousness chapters.

Some other non-novelist African-American writers of this period: Maya Angelou (poet and essayist, major work I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings)
August Wilson (playwright, major works Fences and The Piano Lesson)
Ishmael Reed (fiction writer and poet, major work Mumbo Jumbo)
Ntozake Shange (poet and playwright, major work for colored girls…)
Suzan Lori-Parks (playwright, major work Top Dog/Underdog)

9 Responses to “Beloved (Day 3)”

1. nmulet says:

I was wondering if there was any significance to the red ribbon that Stamp carried around with him. Did he find it in a dead girl’s hair? If he did, I don’t know why he kept it. The ribbon was mentioned several times in this section and I wasn’t sure why. I was also confused about the voices he heard around the house. Were they the voices of other spirits around the house? Are the voices something that only he’s heard. The book mentions that Sethe was unable to hear them as she walked in the house, but I’m guessing that was just because she was so excited. I don’t recall them ever mentioning the voices before in the first section.

2. Part II is tough to follow but in the beginning we see Stamp being a pillar to this free-slave community. He reminds his house that Christians behave a certain way and that we should not forget that. This free-slave community might not have many luxuries but they have eachother.
    Sweethome might have been a place of constant struggle but there was also some good. First they were all together and this created a bond that remained strong and was focused around family and friends. These constant flashbacks from present to sweethome foreshadows the characters behavior. I understand that Sethe is trying to justify killing beloved to herself and this ressurection? of Beloved is bringing these memories back and she is overwhelmed.
    Was Mrs. Garner a positive influence on the slaves and spared the rod unlike the school teacher? Did Sethe tell her about the incident with the schoolteacher?
    I feel that Denver and Sethe have a lot in Pandoras box. They both have been through alot and Morrison allows the reader to take a trip into these troubled minds through recollection. I also got a sense of Denver missing Halle and waiting for him to return. This section had alot of reliogious images, like angels, churches and proper Christian behavior and this made me feel that these characters still had some hope.

3. javeriasid says:

I also believe that the second part is confusing becuase i dont understand who is narrating , also there is a lack of structure it seems like who ever is speaking is just rambling about the past.

4. GordonWTam says:

Agreed. Stream of consciousness is confusing. As stated before, sometimes there are key words to help identify who is speaking, but sometimes you just have to take a stab at it. One of the chapters begins with I AM BELOVED and she is mine, then starts talking about dead people on faces and rats. I don’t think we need any more proof that this person staying at 124 is a… zombie? This book is confusing.

5. hamidah says:

The second part was more understandable than the first because Morrison did not jump as much as she did in the first part. Morrison explained the past in more details and it helped me figure out some things that were confusing for me. However, the monologue of Beloved was very confusing. I do not know if she was speaking to herself or to someone else when sentences barely made sense. Also, I found it hard to understand if more than one person was speaking in the second part of the monologue where they kept saying “you are mine.”

6. mhealy101 says:

The interior monologues/ stream of consciences was a tad bit confusing to me. At first I wasn’t sure who was talking but now when I look back at each section I am able to figure out who is talking (at least I think I know hah) For example, each chapter begins with either “BELOVED, she my daughter”, so obviously Sethe is talking here. Sometimes the chapter begins with “ BELOVED, my sister” so in this case Denver is talking. The only time I get really confused is when Beloved is actually speaking. The chapter when Beloved is speaking is mostly just rambling sentences. There is no punctuation, and I wonder what is the purpose behind this?

7. marissae17 says:

I agree with Jamie. The entire innter monologue is confusing. There is no exact point, duringn what feels like rambling, can the reader tell who the person that is actually speaking is taking too. Is this another one of their memories? Or are they trying to give us some information as to what happened back at Sweet Home.

8. Jamie Rohr says:

I guess I don’t really understand the monologue portion so much. Are the characters talking to us as readers and letting us know what they are thinking or is this their thought process going on in their heads. Are they planning ahead for our benefit or their own? Nothing is very clear as to who is speaking when and what the actual purpose of the monologue is.

9. cbergmann says:

Beloved’s two chapters of what I assume to be inner monologue really confused me. I am not sure what exactly to point out because mostly everything about the section confused me. The second of her two chapters made a little more sense to me than the first. It seems like towards the end of the Beloved’s second chapter of inner monologue (253-256) she is having a conversation with Sethe. I am not sure if this conversation (if you can call it that) is in Beloved’s head or if she is actually having it?