Beloved (Day 4)

Comment here for our last day on Beloved.  We’ll be brief today–what do you make of its conclusion?

15 Responses to “Beloved (Day 4)”

1. jeanine says:

I like the end I wasn’t expecting that but for Sethe to finally let her past go was one of the best things she’s done . Now she can finall go on with her futur and not worry about the past . Her past tortured het and if she wasn’t going to let it go it could have made her go insane and maybe even kill herself .

2. hamidah says:

Well the ending was too soon. When it comes to unimportant events, it is in detail but when it comes to the most important part which is the end of Beloved, it ends quickly. However, I do like the fact that Paul D stays with Sethe and Denver leaves the house and starts working for her mother who is mentally ill. I thought the ending would be a little more better like Sethe letting go of Beloved peacefully and Sethe and Denver getting reunited with Howard and Buglar and Paul D returns as well. Something like that would be nice.

3. javeriasid says:

I thought the ending was very appropriate. I was glad to see Denver mature and become a functioning member of society. Also Beloved’s departure from 124 was the only way for Sethe and Denver to move forward. In the end when Seth is saying that Beloved was “her best thing” she is reminded by Paul D that she was her own best thing. I thought that was a nice ending to the story becuase all Sethe did her whole life was hold herself accountable for everything that happened to her, when Paul D says “you your best thing” its him telling her to accept herself as her own best thing.

4. andycrazn says:

i felt like she was too obsessive in trying to fix something. everyone just wanted to “forget” the past and not let it devour them. eventually everyone forgot about beloved and it felt like a burden was lifted. i feel like the line , “This is not a story to pass on” made me feel like it was contradicting the whole book. i feel like the ending was incomplete. yea, it left us with something to think about but, there wasnt any closure for the reader in my opinion.

5. I enjoyed how some of the characters evolved into their own. Denver matures and becomes the head of the household and Paul D. becomes a crutch for Sethe. Sethe was on the brink but with help from her comrades and family she was able to get over the heaviness that was Beloved. This ending seemed appropriate and I agree with my classmates that these characters can move on with their lives. One of the themes that remained constant for me was the sense of community that these free slaves had. They were willing to help eachother and that created a safety for all the characters. I understand what Sethe did was not Christian but other characters overlooked her past and still helped. I was resistant to Morrison’s jumping through time and I felt the same way when the novel ended. I could not embrace her style and it made for a tough read.

6. seanlevine says:

On a positive note the residents of 124 finally seized the opportunity move on with their lives, which I felt one of the few positives in an otherwise harrowing tale. However, I wonder what exactly they’re moving onto? Obviously Denver has matured (evidenced through her branching out for help)and will likely be “ok”, however I can’t escape the feeling that Sethe and Paul will never really recover from the distress of their past. Even if they forge a new life together, the mental baggage that is beloved/sweet home seems to be a recurring nightmare that even time and distance won’t stifle.

7. marissae17 says:

I agree with Kelly. I’m glad that Sethe was finally free from Beloved. From the beginning when Beloved started coming around, I had a feeling that something was off about Beloved. I felt that there was no way that Beloved could just come running back into Sethe and Denver’s life and everything was going to be okay. I’m also happy to see that Denver finally left 124 and started making a life for herself.

8. I agree with my colleagues that it was a happy ending. It has been a struggle between the past and the present and it seems that the present now took a deeper significance in the story. Sethe being freed from beloved, in a way it represents Sethe acknowledgment of her present and future. In addition, Denver’s opportunity to be among others in the community and getting a chance to grow without the constant influence of her mother’s past gives a new beginning to the story although it is the end of Morrison’s novel.

9. Jamie Rohr says:

I like this conclusion and I think it makes a lot of sense. Beloved was a resurrection of an ashamed past. She was the culmination of years of guilt and sadness that Sethe has carried with her. I see the attempt to kill Mr. Bodwin with an ice pick (when mistaking him for the school teacher) as the final act of redemption for Sethe that allows Beloved to run off. She was willing to stand up for her daughter and fight against him instead of trying to kill her daughter. That knowledge must have released something inside of her and allowed her let go of Beloved a bit. It was a traumatic episode and the idea that they can’t really remember anything that happened with Beloved, suggests that perhaps it really all was just happening in the minds and hearts of the characters but didn’t actually exist. It leaves us wondering…

10. Zasha Lucas says:

I believe the ending to the story could have been better. I would of liked to have known if Sethe was going to be able to live without Beloved since that was the “best thing” that happened to her or was she going to die and leave Paul D and Denver alone. I am happy that at the end Denver left so she can help Sethe. It was also great that Beloved left because she was just bringing down and manipulating everyone.

11. nmulet says:

I was kind of disappointed with the ending. I expected a lot more. I thought there would be some kind of “exorcism” of sorts with Beloved. Although, you could say there was. She did run away. I thought there’d be a big revelation about the fact that she was pregnant with Paul D’s baby. But no one seemed to pay it any mind. Yes, Sethe did try to kill Mr. Bodwin, so that was interesting. But that was discussed more after the fact than when it was actually happening. I think it’s nice that Sethe and Denver get to finally move on with their lives. However, you don’t spend nearly two decades obsessing over or living with something and then just forget about it like it never happened and never existed. Maybe they didn’t simply forget like the way it says in the book. That could just be Beloved’s interpretation of what she saw after she left.

12. GordonWTam says:

I agree with Caitlyn that this was probably the “best” ending that could happen. A picture perfect moment with everyone smiling in the end and 124 turning into a mansion would NOT have been a good way to end this story. It’s about struggle and dealing with the ghosts of the past. Although at the end, there still raises the question of whether the woman who appeared at 124 being Beloved or not. I thought it was her for sure, but that whole sequence in the end with Stamp Paid saying it was some other chick or that she didn’t exist and everyone forgetting her made me have some doubts. Freaky stuff.

13. khaff88 says:

I’m so glad Denver finally got herself involved with the community, this needed to happen. Though the ending was strange, I think it was a happy ending. Sethe was freed from Beloved (even though it’s going to take some time), Paul D comes back for Sethe, and Denver can finally grow up. The only thing that angers me is how Sethe sees Denver, her only child left and she basically ignores her. Beloved was all of Sethe’s attention and Denver still went out of her way to protect her mother. I hope Sethe realized this and that led to a closer bond between the mother and daughter.

14. Erika says:

I think Sethe had to let go of her past but she wouldn’t willingly do it so it had to be done by other means. Her past was getting in the way of her future and in a way, getting in the way of her present. Sethe became totally involved with Beloved that she neglected everything else. An intervention had to be staged by the ones who loved her most.

15. cbergmann says:

I, for the most part, thought the ending was fitting for the story. I am not sure if one could say the novel had a happy ending, but I am glad that Beloved was chased off by the other women in the community. I am also glad that Denver stepped out of her isolation and became a member of the community, which inevitably saved Sethe from Beloved. As far as Sethe goes I am not sure if her ending was happy or not, would Paul D be able to save her from herself or would Sethe pass away like Baby Suggs? Like a broken woman who gave up on life because her “best thing” was taken away from her (296). Towards the end Paul D suggests that it is finally time to move on and stop letting the past burst in whenever it pleased: “Sethe, he says, me and you got more yesterday than anybody. We need some kind of tomorrow”(322). I think Paul D was able to overlook Sethe’s past because he finally realized that when you have lived such a harsh life, the past needs to stay where it belongs.