Oscar Wao (Final Day)

Toward the novel’s close, Lola remarks “Ten million Trujillos is all we are” (324).  Given the circumstances of the novel’s conclusion, one can’t really blame her for being bitter toward some Dominicans.  But what do you make of the way she spreads that comment over all Dominicans (herself included)?  How are all Dominicans like their deceased dictator?

13 Responses to “Oscar Wao (Final Day)”

1. I believe that Lola has a negative perception that was gained throughout her experiences or those of other people. The notion of sex is one mentioned as the main weapon in obtaining positive results. It seems to me that although she could adjust the lens, she is also categorizing in this case the Dominican culture and the ignorance of the people being discussed.

2. jeanine says:

I believe that the reason Lola compared Trujillos to Dominicans because all the violence she’s seen. It seemed as though all her family was victims to violence . They don’t ever experience happiness ,it is always sad and down. They never can say they were truly ever happy.

3. hamidah says:

I think what Lola meant by the quote was that all Dominicans do is go through lots of issues. It is either inflicting the issue or being the one who is in the issue. All Dominicans experience violence and that is what all they go though is violence. They never experience any happiness. It is all pain and suffering for the Dominicans.

4. javeriasid says:

I believe the reason Lola makes the comparison of the Trujillos to her own people is becuase of all the violence she has seen from her own people. Every member of her family seemed to be a victim to violence and the unjust cultural practices. By the end of the novel when Oscar passes away, Lola comes to the conclusion that all Dominicans including herself can’t seem to escape being the “trujillos” The reason I say this is because it seems to be like a vicious cycle, becuase every generation in her family sees the cruelty much like that of the Trujillos when they ruled the Dominican Republic.

5. javeriasid says:

I believe the reson Lola makes the comparison of the Trujillos is becuase of all the violence she has seen from her own people. Her mother was beaten up by Trujillos’s people, her grandfather was also imprisoned and tortured by the Trujillos and then her brother died because of the captain, who is also a gangster.

6. Erika says:

I think Lola felt betrayed by her country because everyone (Dominican) she was exposed to was all for self… Everything was stereotypical. And it was a desperate cry to break apart from the stereotype.

7. mhealy101 says:

Exactly how it is stated, you can’t really blame Lola for being bitter towards the Dominicans. I think she makes this comment and includes herself in it because i think she is just giving in at this point. In some way or another Lola has either dealt with the hardships of the Dominican’s herself or has experienced it through the eyes of someone else, whether that be her mother,brother, etc.

8. khaff88 says:

Lola is extremely angry that Oscar was killed by capitan and compares the brutality of that towards the old dictator Trujillo. Lola says that all Dominicans are like this because she has a hatred for her culture now and even states that she’ll never visit there ever again. It was extremely irrational for Oscar to be murdered for trying to be with someone and love them. Lola basically gave up when she found out that Oscar was dead.

9. I agree with my class mates. Also Lola is realizing that it is what it is. The fuku of Trujillo lives on because this family has seen it through generations. That dark cloud that is Trujillo casted a shadow on their existence throughout, she thought maybe by running away she would be saved but with the loss of Oscar she finally understood that the curse is part of her and all her people. I kinda felt that Lola believed that Oscar would break this curse because of her strong love towards her brother. Oscar had other plans that required finding himself and to hell with the fuku. Like Yunior says maybe it is up to Lola’s daughter to take the baton and move forward and change the tradition of this family. One last point I want to make is THANK THE HEAVENS my man Oscar got to experience physical love because in a sense it allowed Oscar to get closure even though it was short.

10. nmulet says:

I think Lola meant that they are all screwed up and perhaps too concerned with their own goals to consider other people’s well-being. So I think in that way she would be included too. They all have issues and hurt other people in an attempt to get what they want. Everyone wants what they want when they want it. They can be greedy and, I would say, somewhat short-sighted. I think Lola was probably the most considerate person in the book (other than La Inca) but her relationship with her mother caused her significant damage.

11. GordonWTam says:

I think the interesting thing about that quote IS the fact that even though Lola appears to hate all these Trujillos she includes herself. It’s not a self-hating thing like Oscar has, but I think acknowledgement that she herself has acted on the Trujillo inside of her at one point.

12. Jamie Rohr says:

I think Lola just felt betrayed by her country. I think she felt that every Dominican is their own personal Trujillo, igniting the curse onto others. The fact that it was not made into a big deal by the authorities and there was no guilt by the people who did it that this is something that is never going to go away. Everyone is looking out for their own best interests always and it is part of the culture, which is what upsets Lola.

13. cbergmann says:

It seems that throughout the novel Lola experienced or heard about a lot of injustices within the Dominican community, leading her to that comment on page 324. In my opinion, sex seemed to be the driving force in this novel. Every single character used sex as a weapon or a tool to get what they wanted: Power, money, or attention. The only character that did not use sex for one of those three things was Oscar. By the end of the novel it really seemed like sex for him was truly about love. Which of course would discredit Lola’s statement that all Dominicans are just like Trujillo. I think in general when an author makes a blanket statement it is the reader’s job to question it and analyze it. In this case, most of the characters in the novel ultimately used sex in a similar fashion to Trujillo, except Oscar.