Midnight’s Children (End of Book Two)

REMINDER: Read the other essay for your prompt for class on Tuesday.

Comment here for the end of Book Two.  What questions do you now have about the book moving forward (as opposed to those about what we’ve already read)?

14 Responses to “Midnight’s Children (End of Book Two)”

1. I am looking forward to find out Saleems destiny in the next chapters. In addition what is going to happen to Jamilia and Saleem after all the discussions.

2. marissae17 says:

Throughout most of the novel, I have always been curious about the “Midnight’s Children.” I know that there aren’t Midnight’s Children that were born on the hour of independance that have super powers, but I do wonder if there are children in India that were born during this time that are called the Midnight’s Children.

3. nmulet says:

I was wondering if Aunt Alia’s true nature ever gets revealed, but I guess I have to read the whole book to find that out. I was also wondering why they continued to live with her when Ahmed’s business was doing so well and Jamila had become a huge star. Maybe Saleem could’ve encouraged the family to move into their own home and be free of Alia’s resentful cooking. The fairytale also lost me. I’d like to read it again, but I’m not sure how much that would help.

4. jeanine says:

I guess I’m wondering if Saleems life is going to continue to connect to India. Reading half way through the book I guess Saleem thinks he’s needed in India like he’s this important figure and that he has to be there. And another thing I want to know whats going to happen to Jamilia and Saleem because there’s love at this point and also with Amina and Ahmad . 

5. mhealy101 says:

Well this has always been an issue for me with this book, but the political aspects of this book really confuse me. Again at the end of book two the reader is introduced to yet another war. When the whole notion of politics come up I have to always background research on the subject because I am unfamiliar with the subject. Guess that’s why I am NOT a history major☺ !

6. jkauffman says:

I find the entire novel so far very strange. I also find Saleem to be a very weak character in the sense that he makes some very poor decisions such as falling in love with people who he has no business being in love with such as his sister and his aunt. It’s also hard to keep in mind that he is very young and so I suppose that that may excuse some of his more ridiculous ideas.

7. javeriasid says:

When Saleem moves to Pakistan he looses his telepathy but his nose gain a new sense of powers, like he can detect peoples characters through smells. Also I found it wierd that he fell in love with his sister after she started singing. His love for her is wierd even though they are not blood related, i still found it wierd that he had feelings for her, almost as wierd when he had feelings for his aunt Pia.

8. hamidah says:

Well I do not have any questions but I was shocked about when Saleem turned 15 or 16, he started acting up. He was sleeping with prostitutes and behaving like a crazy, desperate, old man. He even fell in love with his sister the monkey. He was very jealous when Men came for her hand, especially the handsome man, which I do not remember his name. I kind of felt like he was a hypocrite because he was teaching his mother a lesson about sleeping around, when later on, he was doing the same for a while.

9. I found out that the India-Pakistan conflict consisted of four wars that were for Kashmir and other reasons.
    Saleem loses his powers and his connection to MCC but does his new sense of smell allow him still connect with India? I feel that it will be difficult for him to accomplish anything without his telepathy. There was a scene with a prostitute that I couldnt figure out what was going on.

10. seanlevine says:

I’d like to see how the familial relations pan out, especially between Saleem/Jamila and Amina/Ahmed. Simply because “Love” is involved at this point, and it seems that the very idea of Love carries with it equal proportions of ecstasy and destruction. There simply cannot be a ladder thrown down in this novel without the consequence of a snake slithering up to bite a character during his ascension. I’d also like to know what happens with the Midnight’s children now that Saleem has “lost” his powers on the operating table of a backwater ENT. Although I for one would prefer his newfound olfactory powers to the telepathy, they seem far less intrusive.

11. khaff88 says:

Reading more than half of this book it’s obvious Saleem has this mindset that he is very important to India and his life story must be told. But this line bothered me to the fullest extent:
    “Let me state this quite unequivocally: it is my firm conviction that the hidden purpose of the Indo-Pakistani was of 1965 was nothing more nor less than the elimination of my benighted family from the face of the Earth” (386).
    How could you possibly think an entire war should be based on you and your family? Especially when Saleem does not seem to be some kind of celebrity in India or some notable hero. His self-importance drives me crazy sometimes. Knowing ahead of time that he has failed makes me wonder why he still feels his life had so much importance when he couldn’t even do what he set out to do.

12. GordonWTam says:

Well, after reading the essays assigned for Midnight’s Children we know Saleem doesn’t ever really succeed in uniting India and making it the happiest place on Earth, but the way the story is told is still intriguing, with the cliffhangers everywhere. I don’t really have a question other than, “What’s going to happen next?” even though I know about the inevitability of failure.

13. Jamie Rohr says:

I guess I wonder If Saleem’s life is going to continue to be intertwined with that of India, or if he is going to develop more of a distinction between the two. I have a feeling if anything it is going to be more complicated and confusing, of whether or not it is his history or India’s in general. Its a very broad question but Im curious as to how he is going to continue the connection between him and the country.

14. cbergmann says:

I am still kind of confused by Saleem’s self-importance. I do not understand his need to be the cause-and-effect to everything that occurs. This goes hand in hand with my confusion from last class with Cyrus-the-Great and Saleem’s disappointed of not being considered a holy figure. Saleem states, “…I dreamed Kashmir into the fantasies of our rulers” (387) stating that he is the cause for the war that started in Kashmir. I also do not understand how the war cleansed him of his sins. How did loosing basically his entire family “cleanse” him? I could understand if he simply meant he could now put whatever past he wanted to behind him, but how did it cleanse him of sleeping with a prostitute?