Midnight’s Children (The End)

It’s been moved that we allow freedom for this last post, so while I’d like you to keep to the Midnight’s Children, feel free to let loose with whatever.

14 Responses to “Midnight’s Children (The End)”

1. GordonWTam says:

Came to the blog to get some insight on final paper and realized I didn’t blog the last blog. Whoops. Know I won’t get credit for it, but I’ll do it. FOR THE NOSTALGIA.

I agree with everyone that the novel failed as an epic but I don’t think the novel failed in a novel sense. There are just too many differences from old epics to call it an epic. But in the case of just being a book to read, it wasn’t so bad. Saleem is kind of annoying but the other characters have their charms. I just wish I knew more about the history of India to appreciate it more. I’m so jaded to world politics I didn’t know Indira Gandhi was real until Kelly told me so. It’s been a great semester, people. GO KNICKS. Oh wait.. they lost already. CMON RANGERS

Gordon W Tam

2. jeanine says:

I have to agree on some blogs . this novel failed as an epic. For a novel to be epic shouldnt we see a hero saving people. no instead we read about some guy who thought he had all this power but didnt do anything about it. He just kept feeling sorry for himself and no hero does that. So I have to say i didnt like this novel.

3. I believe that the end of the book was perfect. the fact that it didn’t have an happy ending is what I appreciated the most. The story of a young boy that believes , he is a part of something important is beautiful in the sense that it reflects the oppression of the country, it probably speaks for many others in India. Reality is filled with disappointments that one most have the power to overcome.

I am glad that we read this book however my favorite was ” Things Fall Apart”

4. mhealy101 says:

i am totally jumping on the bandwagon with everyone else by saying this, but this novel fails as an epic. Epics are supposed to be glorious works of literature. I didn’t get that feeling after completing this novel. Not to mention it was extremely long and drawn out and definitely not one of my favorite novels of the year. There was too much going on at times and I just had a hard time grasping it. GO YANKEES and GO RANGERS 🙂

5. hamidah says:

Well I first want to say is that I am so happy that this book is over because I am tired of this long book and the only thing I kept reading was me this I this and it was too much bragging for me from Saleem. Also the story line was ok. I did not like it very much because it was nasty with the sexual desires for his family females and the sleeping around with prostitutes that also had “powers” I think. However, I am just happy it is over and I could say it a million times more but it is sad we have to do an essay on this book.

6. javeriasid says:

While the story did start out somewhat promising, it basically ended with no purpose. I was looking forward to seeing the Midnights Children develop powers and bring unity and peace to a nation that was divided. At first I thought the parallels that Saleem made of his life to that of the major events in India, would become something meaningful, was nothing more than just his personal experiences that happened to him. He made no major contribution to Indian history nor did he achieve anything he set out to do.

7. Saleem breaking up into 600 million specs is a nice way to end the novel because India has that many people, promoting the fact that he was connecting with India. Shiva’s story confused me a bit. It also seemed that one of Saleem’s main goals was to leave his story for his posterity which establishes this notion of immortality. His child can continue his story. GO METS and GO Dolphins!!

8. Jamie Rohr says:

Saleem is ultimately defeated by his surroundings, instead of living a life with padma and his son, he breaks under the pressure. As much as I hate no happy ending, I have to give props where props are due. Never the easy choice to let the protagonist lose in the end. Says something much deeper and makes the reader look deeper to find it.

9. Erika says:

Epic failure… He didn’t die for the good of the nation or anything… I’m glad its over.

10. seanlevine says:

There’s a fascinating ceremony which takes place every day in the small village of Wagah, on the Border of Pakistan and India. Where ,every day, they slam the gates closed at sunset along the Radcliffe line demarcating the exact/historic boundry between the two countries in this rural hamlet, and do so with great pomp. The ceremony concludes with the lowering of two nations flags with painstaking exactness, neither may descend more rapidly than the other, and I’d assume their paths converge at nearly the same height everyday. Watching this as someone informed by this book it is interesting to note this events persistence. On some level it reaffirms the notion of a divided Nation/Region this book imparted into me over it’s duration; wherein neighbors are others, but, paradoxically, approach one another like brothers whom merely disagree, and not enemies per se (although it could be argued there are exceptions, i understand that’s not really defensible, just my opinion). Which of course forms the root of all sorts of pain and discomfort for both parties. The fact that these sorts of realities are so engrained that they become ceremonial, an inescapable,tangible reality, speaks to the lingering rift between the two. Google “Wagah ceremony” if you want to watch it, be warned however, the Soldiers look a little goofy despite the serious nature of their endeavour, but I believe you can safely blame the British for that.

11. khaff88 says:

Alright, well, that was utterly depressing. I was really hoping that there was going to be a turn around in this story. Saleem is boasting till his death and then just kind of gives up, he lets all those people who have been in his life tear him apart. He accepts that being a midnight’s child is nothing more of a curse; he probably could have tried. Saleem is not a hero and I think he accepts that in the last few pages of the book; so instead of living his life with Padma and his son, he gives in to the curse and just dies.

12. gvelella says:

I too am a little disappointed in the book. I thought it was going to be an epic-like novel, but ended up being something completely different and more complicated than it should have been. I wish we could have ended the semester with Things Fall Apart, because that was one of the best novels we’ve read this semester! We should be able to write a final paper on that instead!

13. nmulet says:

I am unimpressed with the ending of this book and the whole book overall. Although, I will say, there were a few lines in there that I liked and could apply to my life. Other than that, I was expecting a whole lot more. Each book in the Twilight saga is about the same length as this, and I got more out of that than Midnight’s Children. There is one thing that I am pleased with in this last reading assignment. After the remaining midnight’s children are captured and castrated, Saleem starts talking about smelling something being fried. And I thought the Widow, in her obsession with the MC, was going to eat their balls and eggs. However, it turned out that they fed it to the dogs. That’s still pretty gross, but I’m just glad she didn’t eat them herself.

14. cbergmann says:

After reading five hundred pages of events that were forcefully paralleled together to have it end the way it did was disappointing. I guess I should not have been surprised considering the book started moving in a downward spiral towards the end. In my opinion, the book started off with a promising story of a character that was entwined with India’s history only to end with no real conclusion. Unless he was going to end his novel with some way in which his life actually had an impact on India, the delusional parallels to history were unnecessary.